Saturday, March 24, 2018
Review: Fabfilter Pro-R
Hello everyone and welcome to this week's article!
Today we're checking out a new plugin by Fabfilter, the Reverb Pro-R!
The panorama of Vst Reverbs is probably the widest of all: the easiest reverb algorithms are teached in many IT college as part of the exams, and it has been probably one of the first effects to have ever been created, to the point that literally every Daw in the market offers some form bundled, plus with the advent of Impulse Responses the offer has become even more various:
with these premises the task of creating a reverb software that can really make the difference in today's crowded panorama seems extremely hard, and yet Fabfilter once again has proven us to be up to the challenge, with its Pro-R.
How did Fabfilter differentiate their reverb from the others?
The same way they do with all of their plugins: with a beautiful interface, very intuitive and far from any useless scheumorphism, and with features that almost no other reverb has, starting with an integrated eq with spectrum analyzer to correct real time the way the effect processes the signal (for example filtering out the amount of reverb that affects the low end) and that also lets us modify independently the decay curve, allowing us to shape in detail the reverb tail and also to create some creative effect, to the point that it can be almost used as a transient shaper.
The main knobs are seven: Brightness, that adjust the amount of sparkle in the effect, Character, that affects the effect "colour" by adding some modulation, Distance, that allows us to adjust the perceived distance of the source, Decay rate, that affects the tail of the effect, Stereo width that controls how wide is the sound, Mix, that obviously lets us choose the wet/dry ratio, and the most importan of all: Space, that lets us set the room size.
On top of all these features the plugin features a wide array of presets for every kind of instrument, and they are a great place to begin with, before proceeding with further tweakings.
All in all another very useful plugin that has everything you'd expect and much more from a reverb, in a beautiful interface.
How does it sounds? It sounds extremely well and realistic, and the tools lets you tweak a lot, so that you can have a very transparent reverb, or a very coloured one, with a hint of echo or chorus, and on top of that the plugin is surprisingly light on the cpu compared to other high end reverb units, which usually can be some of the heaviest processors that can be loaded in a Daw.
Key Features taken from the website:
- Beautifully designed room models, ranging from small ambiences and rooms to large concert halls and huge cathedrals.
- Carefully developed to easily fit in the mix, without causing undesirable coloration, density or phase problems.Gorgeou Retina interface with large interactive reverb display featuring Decay Rate EQ and Post EQ curves.
- Stepless Space control, which smartly and smoothly combines the room model and decay time of the reverb. You can choose from over a dozen
- carefully designed room models and seamlessly vary between them, without hearing clicks or unwanted artifacts.
- Decay Rate control, changing the overall decay time from 50% to 200% of the current Space setting.
- Intelligent Stereo Width control, ranging from pure mono to true stereo and beyond.
- Distance control to adjust the proximity to the sound source in the selected space.
- The Character control changes the sound from a clean, transparent decay, to a lively reverb with pronounced reflections and echoes, all the way to an over-modulated chorus-like effect.
- Perfectly tuned Brightness knob, affecting not only overall brightness, but also the decay of high frequencies.
- Mix knob with a Lock Mix option, which prevents preset loading from overriding the current mix setting.
- Predelay control via the bottom bar, ranging from 0 to 500 ms, with optional host tempo sync.
- Innovative six-band Decay Rate EQ, giving you full control over the decay rate at different frequencies.
- Six-band Post EQ to equalize the final reverb sound. Together with the Decay Rate EQ, this lets you design reverbs of any style or character.
- Real-time spectrum analyzer that also visualizes the decay time at different frequencies.
- Full Screen mode, offering a large analyzer display and Decay Rate EQ and Post EQ controller.
- Multiple interface sizes: Medium, Large and Extra Large.
- Stereo and mono plug-ins available.
- MIDI Learn.
- Undo/redo and A/B comparison.
- Smart Parameter Interpolation.
- Sample-accurate automation of all parameters.
Become fan of this blog on Facebook! Share it and contact us to collaborate!!