Hello and welcome to this week's article!
Today we continue our overlook on the Fabfilter product line, focusing on their Gate: the Fabfilter Pro G.
This plugin applies the Fabfilter typical interface (with a real time graphic peak analyzer) to a Gate/Expander module.
What is a Gate (click here for a dedicated article)? A Gate is basically a Compressor which lowers the gain not beyond a certain threshold (as a normal compressor would), but below it, and it is a tool created to eliminate background noise from distorted guitars, for example, or open air recordings, or even to remove mic bleeds from acoustic drumsets: only the sounds above the selected threshold will be heard.
Since it's basically a Compressor, most of the controls are also the same: Attack, Release, Threshold, Ratio, Knee and so on, but there is also an expert mode which lets us use advanced functions such as "sidechain mode", and Mid-Side processing.
This unit can be used as an Expander plugin too, using the "Upward" function.
This function is basically used to restore some dynamic range on some recording which has been overcompressed for example, or in every situation in which you have to raise the volume of only the peaks that surpass a certain threshold, leaving the rest unprocessed.
This is yet another fine plugin that helps us fine-tuning our sounds, thanks both to good graphic ui and to some controls which are rarely featured on others products.
- Adjustable range, hold time and knee settings
- Optional look-ahead time up to 10 ms
- Expert mode that offers highly customizable side chain options
- Mono, stereo or mid/side processing
- Up to four times linear-phase oversampling
- MIDI triggering: open the gate/expander with your MIDI keyboard
- External side chain option
- Separate dry/wet level settings
- MIDI Learn
- Undo/redo and A/B comparison